Moon Shadows

Reflections on Life

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Pagan Power Name

Caly Silvermoon

That is the pagan name I have taken. Not that you will probably see me refer to myself that way very often. I may use it to sign a few things in the future but mostly it is a power name for me. A way to think of myself as a continue my journey down the pagan path.

There was a time in history when Pagans took a name to help hide their identity.,when persecution for your religion was rampant. This way if someone was caught, they wouldn't know your real name and would not be able to help the authorities find you. Now of course that is not the case. People take pagan names for various reasons. For me its not unlike when Catholics take a 'confirmation name', its a way to signify your entrance into the tradition.

Why this name? Well Caly is of course the name I use all the time now. When I first started calling myself that, I said "Carolyn is who my Mother wanted me to be, but Caly is who I am". It represents the real me in my heart. I feel incredible power when I think of myself as Caly, (not just in a pagan way but also as a lesbian), and it was a step toward more self esteem as a person that means a good deal to me. A way to distance myself from my past and live the life I was meant to live. So even when I use it with out the Silvermoon surname, I think of it as part of my pagan connection and a way to express my pagan tradition on a daily basis; as well as revealing 'the real me'. It was also very cool afterwards to have a fellow pagan point out the connection that gave me to Kali, the Hindu goddess. She is a triple goddess (part of the maiden, mother, crone philosophy) and very powerful. I like the fact that I honor her name. Also from a numerological standpoint, Caly Silvermoon has the same number (3) as my birth name so that makes it a good choice.


Silvermoon is the part I added recently. I just felt I needed to 'complete' myself in that way. I always new my name would have Moon in it. I have felt a connection to the moon all my life in ways I can't explain. Its just a very powerful talisman for me. The silver part came to me after much deliberation, but just seems right now. Silver is the color associated with the goddess Artemis, whom I wish to honor; and also silver on the color wheel for those of the Wiccan tradition signifies the goddess, the removal of negative energy, and developing female powers. It also relates to dreams, stability and victory. All good things in mind.

So Caly Silvermoon it is. I may not be opening a bank account in that name anytime soon LOL, or even say it out loud very often, but in my mind and my heart it will be the name that gives me strength when I need it.

Blessed Be.

3 Comments:

At 1/08/2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

You have researched your chosen name. I like to read about the history behind things like that of the reason Pagans chose different names. I very much support one’s spiritual identity. I think we all have our unique way of connecting spiritually. And, I admire you for finding your path and being so knowledgeable about it.

Hugs,

the editor

 
At 1/08/2007, Blogger Ting's Tang said...

Thanks! Many times I think our paths choose us if we are open to them. So much of what makes me a Pagan, I have been practicing since I was a kid without even realizing it. I was always a dutiful child in everyway but how I thought about religion. I would not just accept the Catholic faith my Mother tried to force on me. It just took many years to realize why.
Thanks for stopping by!

*hugs
Moonbeam

 
At 2/18/2007, Blogger poet said...

just checking in on you. been lurking and hope all is well. take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home