Moon Shadows

Reflections on Life

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Can't judge a Book...

We all know you can't judge a book by its cover. I just finished reading a book I had really looked forward too because of its title and synopsis. It was called A Seahorse Year and it really wasn't very good at all. My blog isn't about that though, its about another kind of book you can't judge, People.

When I first met Glenn a year ago, he made me nervous. If I had met him at night on the street, I would have been down right scared. He looked like a poster child for the homeless. Long thin hair, unkempt beard, dirty baseball cap and leathery skin.
This man was working in my kitchen though.

He started as a volunteer and was a friend of my then cooks, Larry and Doris. He came everyday and helped for hours doing anything they asked. He was quiet, and pretty much came and went like the wind. I don't think we exchanged 6 words a week. I watched and saw that for all his outward appearance, he washed his hands religiously when he handled food and seemed to know what he was doing. It worked for me...

Then this Spring, Doris became ill, and she and Larry decided to retire (they were husband and wife). So I found myself needing 2 new cooks. One of the men they recommended was Glenn. I was skeptical at first, but its hard to find people to take a job that only pays $6.50 an hour these days (I have no control over salary) so I was willing to give him a shot.

This book turned out to be a bestseller.

Glenn has turned out to be the best employee or co-worker that I have ever had the pleasure to work with in 25 years. He is dependable, honest, hard working and fun. He has the driest but sweetest sense of humor around. We have a wonderful working relationship and friendship.
Now Glenn is dying.

Hopefully not soon, but he has cancer. He was diagnosed a few months ago with throat cancer. At the time they gave him a 60/40 chance he told me. Unfortunately things stink in this country and health care for him has been an issue. Before he worked for me, he qualified for indigent health care and all was paid for. Now because he works full time he no longer is entitled to that, but while he could afford to purchase our health plan at work, its only 80/20 coverage, and there is no way he can afford 20% of these potential medical bills on $6.50 an hour. So now in order to get any treatment, he must quit his job and go to a VA hospital. Life Sucks.


I also am very afraid that he has waited to long. Being a man of course, he didnt seem concerned at first, and was then told he needed to have his teeth pulled before they would do radiation, because they would fall out anyway. That took a month to have done. Then he just sort of let it slide. I think he was in denial about it all. Now though he is starting to feel bad and that is what worries me. He talks about it being the end, and I am sad. I am sure he wont get the kind of aggressive treatment that someone with unlimited income can afford. This is his last week working.

I am going to miss him.

The other day, we filled out his exit interview paperwork. I had written that he was the best person I ever had the pleasure to work with and I meant it. He told me, I was the best boss he ever had, because I was so easy to train. LOL Thats what I mean about his sense of humor. It made me tear up though because a year ago I had misjudged him so.

Some books with dusty covers are classics and I don't want this book to end..
8-/

6 Comments:

At 9/04/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to read that about Glenn. He sounds like a down-to-earth, good-hearted person. I hope that it is not too late and that he can beat this. I think people like him are in our lives to teach and inspire us.

-Take care

 
At 9/06/2006, Blogger Mrs. Dr. S. said...

{{{Hugs}}} Caly - I am so sorry.

It sounds like you were a good friend to him - and him to you.

 
At 9/07/2006, Blogger Ting's Tang said...

Thank you Court and RJ. YOu never know how some people in the world will touch you in unexpected ways.

What means alot is that I think I touched him too. 8-)

*hugs

 
At 9/07/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i learned a long time ago not to judge anyone, or books, by the covers. it has always been what's on the inside that counts. take care and i hope you have more time with your book. :)poet

 
At 9/08/2006, Blogger Trop said...

It's always hard to lose a friend. Hugs.

 
At 9/15/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just checking in, hope all is well.
poet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home